Te Awa School is a delightful school of which the community is very proud. Since the introduction of "Tomorrow's Schools", Te Awa School has managed to utilise available funding to enhance and develop the school grounds and environment.
The children are delightful. They come from a wide range of backgrounds.
The community is very supportive but at the same time expects a high standard from its school. The socioeconomic range within the community is very wide-ranging, from those on benefits through to accountants and small business owners.
There are at present eight classrooms. The teaching staff are all experienced and very competent. They are dedicated to the children and the provision of quality education. They are forward thinkers who are always keen to find out about new trends in education and incorporate them in their programmes.
We have created a learning environment which allows every child to reach their potential. Our philosophy is create children who are KEEN- Knowledgeable, Enthusiastic, Empathetic and Nurturing. Last year we set up a new positive behaviour for learning programme. Part of this is our new 'Golden Time' which is a reward for those children who meet classroom expectations consistently. This is a fun time that takes place every afternoon for a 20 minute session.
At Te Awa School we are proud to have a:
- safe and caring environment
- zero tolerance for bullying
- commitment to small class sizes
- variety of playing fields including netball court
- an extensive multi-media library of the latest titles - all computer catalogued
- stimulating and attractive classrooms
- changing display of children's artwork
- adventure playground
- regenerating native bush area - students learn about conservation values
- design features by local artists
- regular 'Duffy' assemblies and theatre where celebrities and sporting personalities visit to encourage good reading habits
- a school swimming pool
- 2 sets of computers on wheels
- a Kickstart to learning programme
- Interactive whiteboards in every classroom
1. I am Knowledgeable- I know what is expected of me at all times
2. I am Enthusiastic- I always try my best
3. I am Empathetic- I treat others the way I wish to treated
4. I am Nurturing- I care for myself and others
These are the only rules we ask children to follow at Te Awa School.
9am- morning session begins
10.10am- fruit break
10.20am- morning tea play time
10.35am- second learning session begins
12.00pm- lunch play time
12.45pm- feed and read
1.00pm- afternoon learning session begins
2.20pm- Golden Time
2.45pm- end of school day